Engineering Manager, Sr Engineer - Device Development
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration through scientific research. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
The Engineering Manager / Sr Engineer will lead or make strong technical contributions within cross functional combination product development teams and/or to complex technical development and problem-solving projects. This role will be responsible for successful completion of design, development and commercialization deliverables and ensuring that device design, component selection, manufacturability and testing specifications and methods meet product needs. To be successful the candidate must effectively interface with staff and leaders in Device Development, Quality, Regulatory Affairs, Drug Development, Process Engineering and across other areas of Biologics Product Development and Astra Zeneca. Strong communication skills are required including succinct and effective presentation of technical and non-technical materials during meetings with company Senior Management / Leaders, health authorities, audits and other internal and external stakeholders. This role will lead technical development with external development and commercialization partners and component suppliers and problem-solving activities using state of the art tools and techniques such as DMAIC, DFFS, DOE, Monte Carlo Simulation, Probabilistic Design, etc. Development and commercialization must be conducted in compliance with applicable processes / procedures, standards and regulations including Design controls, Risk management, Human factors engineering, FDA QSR, ISO13485, etc.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead or be a strong technical contributor to a cross functional team in the selection, development, scale up and/or commercialization of drug delivery devices for the MedImmune pipeline
- Be a senior scientific contributor to complex problem solving and technical development
- Contribute to departmental combination product development capability by applying and maintaining a high level of knowledge and expertise
- Influence and educate cross-functional stakeholders and leaders on device development and commercialization best practices
- Establish a close working relationship with and provide effective oversight of suppliers and manage technical aspects of external collaborations
- Drive a Quality mindset and ensure that work is performed in accordance with appropriate quality requirements and compliance standards (e.g. risk management, Design Controls, ISO standards etc.)
- Contribute to regulatory filings and health authority responses
- Develop and implement best practices / business processes
- Engineering or technical degree or equivalent. BS required, MS or PhD preferred.
- Sr Engineer:BS and a minimum of 6 years of experience in technical roles within combination product development or MS and a minimum of 4 years of experienceor a PhD and some relevant experience preferred
- Engineering Manager: BS and a minimum of 8 years of experience in technical roles within combination product development or MS and a minimum of 6 years of experience or a PhD and at least 3 years of experience
Other Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent leadership skills to lead a cross functional team and ensure success of the project.
- Experience in working with external development and commercialization partners and suppliers is highly desirable.
- A track record of working effectively within a matrix organization with a highly cross-functional and collaborative environment is required.
- Excellent communication skills are required.
- Familiarity with industry standards and practices applicable to device and/or combination product development is required.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.