US Senior Director, Insights & Analytics, CV
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development
The Global / US I&A organisation focuses on four key responsibilities:
- Uncovering deep understanding of patients, markets, stakeholders, competitors and brands to drive competitive advantage
- Being a collaborative and strategic partner that provides objectivity to inform better decision making
- Providing recommendations based upon future-oriented insights and opportunities
- Providing an independent view in decision-making bodies with an external perspective, and a future-oriented insights and early warning intelligence.
Global / US I&A core capabilities are comprised of:
- Insights – interpret patients, HCP, payers, performance data and more to shape the competitivity of our brands, inform better investment decision making and understand the implications for AstraZeneca
- Competitive Intelligence – hold an externally focused view to understand how competitor actions will impact AstraZeneca and the implications they will have on clinical trial and global commercial strategies
- Analytics & forecasting – strong ability to quantify strategy and support decisions with data
Global / US I&A uses these capabilities to drive decisions by valuing potential assets and shaping winning clinical and commercial strategies.
This role is designed to lead the US Cardiovascular Insights & Analytics Team for two products. The team will provide strategic and operational business insights capabilities, an in-depth understanding of the brand/molecule/therapeutic area (TA) and enable delivery of insights from primary market research, forecasting, analytics and competitive intelligence into insights and recommendations that drive senior executive’s decision making.
As a strategic partner to the US Commercial VP CVMD and Cardiovascular/Metabolism Brand Leads, this role spans leadership across insights stemming from primary/secondary market research, market access insights and integrates analytics, forecasting, and reporting with considerable functional depth required. Importantly, this role requires strong leadership over a cross functional team, demonstrating communication excellence to senior management and driving results. This role will also require business partnership with multiple stakeholders beyond the Cardiovascular Brand team including but not limited to Finance, Sales Force Operations, Corporate and Medical Affairs.
- Oversees and guides development and integration of industry-leading customer insight, market intelligence and analytics helping the organization to frame business problems and opportunities to shape future-proofed strategies and deliver sustainably differentiated brands/early assets, business development opportunities and TA strategies, as well as to unlock the full commercial value of the portfolio
- Responsible for bringing a proprietary insights driven external point of view into recommendations by leveraging a network of sources and publicly available information, either on brand or TA level, for internal and external communication
- Guide the analytics and insight involved in the development of marketing materials and provide guidance on the strategic and go-to market tactical plan
- Guide and shape the development of KPI's/brand health monitoring in order to clearly and quickly diagnose brand performance and impact tactical plans to drive greater business results post launch
- Member of the US CVRM Insights & Analytics leadership team, driving insight-led decision making by providing an independent externally driven view and recommendations on key development decisions and drivers of brand performance
- Responsible for driving proprietary AstraZeneca view of the key assumptions underpinning our business cases based on interpretation of competitive intelligence, analytics and primary insight and secondary research sources.
- Acts as a thought partner across different areas of US Commercial Operations and Development to ensure execution of local strategy as well as with Brand, Sales and Market Access Teams to unlock the full commercial value of the brand
- Responsible for leading and developing a team of highly skilled staff, appropriate resource allocation and any cross functional/portfolio projects
- Partnering with the TA Commercial VPs and BUDs ensuring overarching strategic and operational objectives for the brands and/or TA are met
- Accountable for management of TA insight budget and contractor/consultant relationships, including building aligned insights plans between global and the US
Essential for the role
- Bachelors degree in science or commercial related program
- 10+ years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry (preferably US local strategy/commercial insights roles)
- 5+ years experience utilising a range of analytics involving standard data in the Pharmaceutical Industry e.g. IQVIA (MIDAS, DDD, NPA, Xponent), claims data (LAAD, MarketScan, Optum, Prognos, Symphony), other epidemiological data (Decision Resources, Kantar) etc and performance tracking
- Exceptional business acumen, strategic thinking and understanding of sales and marketing business practices
- Entrepreneurial mindset to impact leadership and high emotional intelligence
- Experience advising senior level executives, strong coaching and problem-solving skills
- Strong ability to influence laterally and vertically
- High degree of creativity and innovation in developing new approaches, processes and methodologies
- Strong market research and analytical expertise, excellent financial modelling and forecasting skills
- Proven ability to lead teams, influence cross-functionally and manage multiple, complex demands
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Managed a group of at least 3 insights or analytical staff
- PhD / MBA
- Experience in leading insight within Cardiovascular and/or Diabetes
- In-depth knowledge of regional market dynamics and/or in-market or regional experience
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.