Statistical Science Director
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, Biometrics? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact Oncology in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
Our oncology statistics team is totally focused on delivering innovation, science and seeking out opportunity. This dynamic team is looking for passionate, innovative individuals to help develop, lead and shape the way we work. We are committed to supporting personal development and growth of individuals.
We have achieved a lot in a short space of time by focusing on our pipeline and evaluating novelty and clinical development movement. In 2019 and 2020 we were ranked at the top of the invention scale with “best pipeline” by ‘IDEA Pharma’. But the next chapter of our pipeline is more exciting than ever… We have an ambitious goal to deliver 6 new molecular entities by 2025.
We are currently looking for an experienced Statistical Science Director to work at the heart of our clinical project teams. Your proven statistical expertise will be a key influence on our clinical program designs, informing our decision making and driving best practice.
The Statistical Science Director may lead a project and/or support statistical methodological advances.
The accountabilities for supporting projects directly include:
- Lead the statistical design and strategy to product development plans, preclinical studies, regulatory strategy, health technology assessment and/or commercial activities as appropriate for the stage of the product.
- Lead the statistical content and ensure quality for study designs, documents, delivery and interpretation and submission
- Quantify the benefit, risk, value and uncertainty of the emerging product profile and can communicate these effectively within the team
- Provide global leadership to others and direct project work delivered by internal and external staff
- Partner with CROs to ensure delivery to quality and time
- Represent AZ externally which may include health authorities, advisory boards, conferences, workshops and/or payer interactions
- Maintain knowledge of statistical methodology in relevant areas and promote, investigate and implement novel statistical approaches
- Represent statistical strategy and decision making at internal decision-making governance including review boards, therapy area leadership teams and ESPC/LSPC
- Mentor/coach and support the technical education and training of Statistics staff
The accountabilities for supporting statistical methodological advances are (technical focus):
- In depth knowledge of technical/regulatory requirements with experience in pharm/healthcare
- Up to date and implements novel stats approaches
- Experience with and broad awareness of regulatory interactions and/or submissions
- Excellent communication skills/ builds strong relationships
- Nationally recognized externally. Invited to attend or speak at seminars and external meetings.
- Well-rounded statistician with publications on a range of topic areas. Publications resulting from external collaborations
- Expert Leadership role able to lead/direct work across a team
- A Statistics or Mathematics related MS Degree.
- Direct experience of clinical trials, ideally in pharmaceuticals or healthcare
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A collaborative mindset
- Genuine commitment to drive innovation to advance statistical science
- Oncology experience would be an advantage
- Ph.D. Statistics or Mathematics with high statistical component.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.