Senior Scientist - Proteomics
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in Waltham, MA:
The Waltham R&D site focuses on our small-molecule oncology research in North America, and is situated within a biopharma cluster of research institutions, medical centers, pharmaceutical companies and startups. The Boston region is consistently ranked #1 globally for research, investment, talent recruitment and lab space.
The campus, also known as the Boston BioHub, is one of the largest and most dynamic life-science research hubs in the region. It is home to more than 800 scientists working in nine different pharmaceutical and biotech companies. The site is also home to the AstraZeneca Incubator, a program that helps emerging companies advance novel and innovative healthcare solutions to meet the needs of patients. Plenty of free parking, with charging stations now available for electric vehicles, and shuttle service to local transportation hubs..
Summary of the group:
The Chemical Biology and Proteomics team uses quantitative mass spectrometry for target deconvolution, elucidating drug mechanism of action, assessment and development of novel drug modalities, investigation of post-translational modifications and to characterize preclinical and clinical samples applied towards pre-clinical and clinical translational research.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
We are looking for a proactive and enthusiastic scientist, able to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with cross-functional teams such as chemistry, molecular biology, and safety to contribute to iterative experimental design and mechanistic hypotheses generation through the interpretation of complex proteomics data.
- Collaborate with project teams to identify suitable proteomics application, establish and execute work plan, and deliver results to project teams.
- Utilize hands-on expertise with mass spectrometry and chromatography techniques.
- Develop MS-based analytical methods and protocols for discovery and targeted based proteomics to understand drug induced proteome dynamics, to investigate post-translational modifications (PTM) and to characterize preclinical and clinical samples.
- Establish novel methods and procedures, data processing and analysis as well as developing our state-of-the-are mass spectrometry systems.
- Generate and interpret proteomics data supporting oncology, cardiovascular, renal, metabolic and respiratory therapeutic areas using nanoflow liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry instrumentation including, (Q-Exactive, Q-HF, Fusion Lumos, Orbitrap Explorisus, Eclipse, tims TOF, Sciex 6500 ).
- Prepare and present internal communication updates as well as contributions for publication strategy in high level peer-reviewed journals and international conferences.
Education & Experience Requirements:
PhD in Proteomics, Mass Spectrometry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or similar discipline with 2+ years discovery and targeted mass spectrometry proteomics experience.
- Experience designing and implementing proteomics experiments to enable drug discovery programs using high resolution mass spectrometry and related bioinformatic tools.
- Demonstrated expertise in quantitative mass spectrometry-based proteomics and data analysis pipelines for in-vitro and ex-vivo quantitative proteomics applications.
- Presentation of experimental results, analysis, and plans to drug discovery project teams to advance the scientific direction of the drug project.
- Proven ability to independently drive and lead scientific, strategic and operational aspects of studies to completion while working effectively in a team environment.
- Highly self-motivated, with excellent attention to detail and strong organizational and communication (oral and written) skills.
- Operate effectively in a multidisciplinary matrix research environment, providing leadership and insight in the discipline. This role demands a significant experience of interacting with both internal and external collaborators.
- Experience with liquid handling systems and implementing proteomics sample preparation workflows using robotic automation.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.