Senior Scientific Data & Analytics Engineer - SEUIT (GT0415)
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
We are looking for an exceptional Senior Data & Analytics Engineer to be part of a new, close-knit team of deeply technical experts and together have the chance to create data science platforms and tools that will advance the standard of healthcare, improving the lives of millions of patients across the globe.
The platforms will support major AI initiatives such as clinical trial data analysis, knowledge graphs, imaging & omics for our therapy areas. You will also have responsibility to help provide the frameworks for data scientists to develop scalable machine learning and predictive models with our growing data science community, in a safe and robust manner.
As a strong software leader and an expert in building complex systems, you will be responsible for innovating how we use technology, machine learning, and data to enable the productivity of AstraZeneca. You will help envision, build, deploy and develop our next generation of data engines and tools at scale.
The ideal candidate will possess a blend of excellent data engineering skills, successful experience building quality data pipelines and data science based applications.
Location: US (Gaithersburg)
- Drive effective ways of end-to-end deliver of our system, applications and tools for data science on cloud environments.
- Provide the necessary infrastructure and platform to support the deployment and monitoring of ML solutions in production Optimizing solutions for performance and scalability.
- Understanding of the necessary security guardrails required for different use cases and data sensitivities.
- Ensure that the platform and the solutions deployment therein benefit from an optimized and scalable data flow between source systems and analytical models.
- Collaborate with Data Scientists to deploy machine learning models to best exploit modern parallel environments (e.g. distributed clusters, multicore SMP, and GPU).
Desirable technical skills & experience
- BSc in Computer Science or related field or MSc/Ph.D degree in Computer Science or related field.
- A track record of successfully leading data engineering projects to tackle business or scientific problems.
- Exceptional coding and software engineering skills such as Python, Java required. You will be expected to help to coach and nurture other engineers.
- Significant experience with AWS cloud environments, working knowledge of Google and Azure platforms. Knowledge of Kubernetes, S3, EC2, Sagemaker, Athena, RDS and Glue is essential.
- Experience provisioning computational resources in a variety of Cloud environments using Infrastructure as Code.
- Experience with best practice of data transport and storage within cloud system.
- Experience building large scale data processing pipelines. e. g. Spark and SQL.
- Experience with containers and microservice architectures e.g. Kubernetes, Docker and serverless approaches.
- Excellent working knowledge in DevOps, using continuous integration and continuous development.
- Use of Data Science modelling tools e.g. R, Python, SAS and Data Science notebooks (e.g. Jupyter).
- Agile practices, especially being a SCRUM Master,
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.