Job Title: Senior Engineer
Location: TRIL GTC
Function / Team / Location - Capture some brief headlines describing which SET area and function within AZ this role is performed and the nature / focus of the function it is to be performed in.
AstraZeneca (AZ) is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
We tackle complex problems, tinker in uncharted waters, and develop early stage services and capabilities. We actively keep a pulse on the external environment to understand where we need to be and shape and nurture the AZ IT ecosystem to ensure we build the bridge together.
Within AZ IT, Software Shared Services focuses on enterprise level solution platforms and development environments that are truly cross-functional in nature. The goal of the organization is to provide world-class solutions that are truly scalable, agile and delivered in the most efficient manner. Currently, the Software Shared Services organization includes management of our SAP environment, Application and Data integration environments, and the newly created Application Lifecycle Services group.
The scope of Application Lifecycle Services is two-fold. On the one hand, the group will deliver end-to-end custom application development services available to any part of the AZ IT organization and the business. On the other hand, the group will also deliver complete SDLC work-streams, such as application testing, application retirement etc., in a platform-agnostic way to any IT program in AZ.
This role is for a Solution Engineer. The Solution Engineer will be responsible for architect, design, development, performance testing, documentation and implementation of comprehensive software solutions that enable AstraZeneca to discover and develop new innovative medicines.
In this role you will apply your technical expertise working in a scrum team to deliver a solution to one of the many scientific challenges within AZ. This role requires an individual with strong technical skills in multiple open source technologies.
Candidate Focus & Challenge – Review the standard role profile and capture some brief headlines describing what will specifically be expected of this role over the next 12 months (e.g. if Programme /Project based role consider describing the project scope & deliverables expected)
The key area of focus for this role is to design and build software solutions using agile deliver methodologies
The candidate will be accountable for (but not limited to) the following activities:
- Use technical knowledge and expertise to lead the design and coding software solutions.
- Work with key stakeholders to identify functional and technical requirements, translate into design specifications, determine testing levels and manage test case and test script development in line with ALS processes and standards, ensuring that requirements are effectively met, tested and implemented.
- Ensure that solution architecture and designs are compliant with appropriate guidelines and standards and are robust to address business, application, information and infrastructure architectural requirements.
- Ensure effective interoperability of services and technologies and ensure alignment of solutions with AstraZeneca standards, policies and procedures as well as regulatory requirements.
- Maintain awareness and knowledge of software industry trends and specialized business needs, and proactively identify and drive identification of opportunities to be leveraged in solutions delivered.
- Help to create an environment that promotes collaboration within and across teams.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Demonstrate
• An undeniable passion for software development and design using open source platforms.
• Expert knowledge of software development, testing processes, and methodologies, and maintained by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
• Self-motivation and an ability to contribute to rapidly evolving programs.
• A strong academic record (min. Bachelor degree) with experience in software development.
- 4+ years of experience developing Java based applications.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience with and knowledge of tools that can help make software delivery and testing more effective. Preference for experience with the following tools: Jira, Confluence; Code coverage and analysis: Clover, SonarCube (code coverage and analysis); Stash (code review); Bamboo, puppet (CI, deployment, and release management); Zephyr, Selenium, jMeter, TestComplete, Docker,…
• Perform work without significant direction.
• Help transform Application Lifecycle Services solution delivery process as it evolves into a modern test-driven, continuously integrated, set of micro-services.
Candidate Knowledge, Skills & Experience – Review the standard role profile and capture any additional critical knowledge, skill and experience demands relative to this specific role (e.g. if Programme Manager for SAP consider previous experience of executing SAP projects)
Add references to specific leadership, core or professional capabilities which will be recruited against and integral to the job.
Able to demonstrate examples to evidence the Leadership Capabilities: Working Collaboratively and Strategic Leadership.
Excellent written and verbal skills with fluent English (written and verbal)
Expert in Software Development and use of open source technologies.
Expert in developing service based solutions.
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Technical Degree in Computer Science / IT
- Excellent skills in Agile Application Development
- Experience working on an agile project
- Experience working in a global organization where stakeholders and project team members are geographically dispersed.
- Quick learner, demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and programming languages as necessary
- Solid skills in Java 8
- Open source Java frameworks
- HTML 5/CSS3
- Angular 6 +
- CI tools Hudson, Jenkins or Bamboo
- Spring framework 3.0+
- Restful Services
- Masters degree
- Scrum Master Certification.
- Job Dimensions – Review the standard role profile and capture the specific resource management accountabilities required in the role – $ &/or People; key relationship.
The position will report to the Application Development and Maintenance Team Lead.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.