Senior Data Engineer
AstraZeneca is looking for a savvy Senior Data Engineer to join our team of analytics experts in either Wilmington, DEor Gaithersburg, MD. You will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams. You will be an expert data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. You will support our software developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. You will need to be self-sufficient and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. If you get excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing the company’s data architecture to support the next generation of products and data initiatives; this opportunity is the right fit for you.
· Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
· Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources
· Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
· Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
· Keep our data separated and secure across national boundaries through multiple data centers and AWS regions.
· Create data tools for data analysts and data scientists
· Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
· Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
· 5+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role
· Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
· Experience with AWS cloud services: S3, EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift
· Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark
· Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python / Java /Scala / C++
· Advanced working knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
· Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
· Experience with Agile development (SAFe, SCRUM)
· Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: (Airflow, Azkaban, Luigi, etc)
· Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
· Data modelling
· Experience with 3/5NF and Star Schemas
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.