Senior Consultant - High Performance Computing
Job Title: Senior Consultant
Location: TRIL GTC Chennai
Scientific Computing Platform (SCP) is AstraZeneca’s state-of-the-art computing environment to pursue today's and tomorrows in-silico challenges. It strongly focuses on a platform concept, building capabilities and services around central building blocks. At its heart, it uses 3 compute environments, a classical InfiniBand/Slurm HPC cluster, an OpenStack private cloud as well as a various public cloud for elasticity and scale. To exploit these resource pools most optimally, SCP is deploying strong DevOps tooling and cloud-native technologies. It seeks to adjust and adapt according to changing requirements and follow the science.
The engineers and architects in the SCP team are key to continuously deliver and support this critical capability. We are operating the SCP as a single global team with shared responsibilities. We are looking for a highly motivated, ambitious and independently working Scientific Computing engineer to join our global team.
You will be joining an agile and hardworking team of technologists who share excitement for High-Performance & Big Compute, modern technology stacks and their application in science to change the life of patients.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Engaging in various activities spanning daily operations and development, exciting technology exploration and strategic project delivery.
- Own components of the platform, drive its operational excellence, prioritise the development backlog and craft the roadmap.
- Whether your interest is more operations or development-focused, classical HPC or cloud computing, in hardware or applications, our team is operating the whole stack. Everyone on the team takes ownership of our success.
- You will become a trusted partner to our Science community, ensuring that we deliver technology on the highest standards to enable and push their work to the next level.
- Being able to translate partners’ needs into efficient solutions and applying engineering excellence to make science successful, will be your daily reward.
- Hands-on experience operating, crafting or engineering large-scale computing environments, such as HPC, HTC or BC, preferably Life Sciences (e.g. Pharmaceutical Industry, BioTech)
- Hands-on experience working in DevOps teams and using agile methodologies and provide scientific software support for end-users: configuring, installing, tuning and maintaining such software.
- DevOps way of working with a strong enterprise service mentality, problem-solving, excitement for technology and interest in accelerating science
- Configuration management (e.g. Ansible, salt, puppet) and technology frameworks (e.g. easy build) in IT operations
- Scripting and tool development for HPC & DevOps style platform operations using Bash and Python
- Solid background as a user or administrator of Linux systems
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
- Operation and configuration of public cloud computing infrastructure (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Managing a virtualized private cloud environment (e.g. OpenStack)
- Container technology (e.g. LXD, Singularity, Kubernetes)
- Proven development experience with a variety of programming languages, tools and technologies (Java/C++, Python/Ruby/Perl, SQL, AWS)
"As part of the application process for some roles at AstraZeneca, candidates may be asked to complete a series of online games, created by pymetrics, to assess certain candidate qualities to help evaluate potential match for the position. If the pymetrics process applies to this role, you will receive an email invitation with additional information following application. Once completed AZ will automatically receive your results - pymetrics will not be used solely in our decision-making process but will help us gather additional insight.“
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.