Scientist - Antibody & Automated Platforms
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD:
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees stay happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the Group
Antibody Discovery & Protein Engineering (ADPE) is responsible for the discovery and optimization of next generation biologics to create biological drug candidates for all key therapeutic areas such as oncology, respiratory and inflammation, cardiovascular, renal and metabolic diseases. We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for the development of in-house biologics discovery platforms and novel drug modalities to address unmet medical needs.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
The successful candidate will play a critical role in a core group responsible for cloning, expression & purification of antibody therapeutics on a microgram-to-milligram scale and be an advocate for utilizing various automation platforms. The selected individual will be a well-organized and a highly productive scientist that can design and execute experiments efficiently, as well as analyze, interpret and present data to multidisciplinary project teams.
- Collaborate and work with a diverse group of scientists across all therapeutic areas to ensure timely progress in research projects.
- Execute high-throughput cloning, production and purification of protein therapeutics from bacterial or mammalian expression systems using process automation and liquid handling robotics.
- Biochemical, biophysical and functional profiling of antibodies and recombinant antibody fragments.
- Ability to solve process development problems and implement improved procedures.
Education & Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Biotechnology, Chemical Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, or other relevant scientific field with 4+ years (BS degree) or 2+ years (MS degree) of relevant experience.
- Experience in molecular and cell biology techniques, including; cloning, transfection and transduction methods.
- Experience in expression, purification and biochemical/biophysical characterization of various antibody formats.
- Track record of strong problem solving and organizational skills, orientation to detail.
- Strong motivation, attention to detail, ability to think independently and fully integrate into a high achieving team environment.
- Experience in antibody discovery using one of several display-based technologies.
- Experience in various imaging/multicolor flow cytometry-based instruments and data analysis programs.
- Experience in tissue culture techniques and functional cell-based assay development.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and effective presentation of complex scientific data to cross-functional and senior management.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.