Postdoctoral Fellow - Proteomics/Metabolomics
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. We're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. We believe in the potential of our people and you’ll develop beyond what you thought possible.At AstraZeneca we believe in the potential of our people and you’ll develop beyond what you thought possible. We make the most of your skills and passion by actively supporting you to see what you can achieve. We need great people who share our passion for science and have the drive and determination to meet the unmet needs of patients around the world. If you’re curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
We are seeking a skilled and innovative Postdoctoral Fellow with extensive mass spectrometry (MS) experience. In this predominantly lab-based role, the successful candidate will be involved in the establishment of novel MS-based methods at the beginning of the drug development process. The candidate will explore both proteomics and metabolomics and contribute to ongoing efforts in the lab to expand omics capabilities. The position requires the ability to embrace new technologies and methods quickly as well as perform in a fast-paced, highly collaborative work environment. The candidate will have general knowledge of the fields of chemistry, biology, mass spectrometry, proteomics, and metabolomics. The analytical instruments in the lab include: Agilent 6560 IM-QTOF, Sciex QTRAP 6500, Thermo Orbitrap Fusion, Thermo Orbitrap ID-X, Thermo Q Exactive HF-X, Bruker TIMS TOF. Further acquisitions are ongoing. The instruments are coupled to micro- and nano-HPLCs along with an EVOSEP One platform and 908 Devices ZipChip platform.
PhD (in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related discipline)
- Significant hands-on experience with mass spectrometry instrumentation.
- Hands-on experience in at least ONE area of MS-based omics such as proteomics, peptidomics, metabolomics, or lipidomics.
- Familiar with separation techniques such as liquid chromatography (LC) and/or capillary electrophoresis (CE).
- Experience in preparation and analysis of biological matrices.
- Ability to work outside established field of expertise.
- Proven ability to work well collaboratively in a team environment; report results internally to fellow researchers through weekly meetings and externally through conference presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
- Experience with any of the mass spectrometers listed above.
- General familiarity with MS data analysis software and bioinformatics tools for metabolomics and/or proteomics studies.
- Experience with protein/peptide/metabolite quantitation methods.
- Experience with automation/liquid handler platforms.
- Demonstrate strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Willingness and flexibility to operate in a fast-paced environment and adapt to changing deadlines/priorities.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.