Manager, Financial Compliance US
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
At AstraZeneca every one of our employees makes a difference to patient lives every day. Each and every one of us believes that science has the ability to change lives and that to deliver this takes many people with many skill sets. When we deliver a life-changing medicine, that success comes from the combined efforts of all of our people. As Manager, Financial Compliance US, based in Wilmington, DE, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
The Manager, Financial Compliance US will be the financial control liaison to the business for the Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) & Financial Controls Framework, ensuring continual compliance for both local and global key controls. The Manager will work directly with the process and control owners in order to ensure that proper SOX controls are in place and documented, financial control risks are properly mitigated and that testing is performed timely and effectively. The Manager will report directly to the Director, SOX & Finance Compliance and support the SOX program in all aspects of the process for the in scope AstraZeneca U.S process areas.
Major Responsibilities include:
- As Financial Control Liaison, provide continuous support to Process/Control Owners in reviewing process documentation and control changes to ensure up-to date documentation is included in the applicable SOX repository system. This will include regular meetings with various Process/Control Owners, assessing impact of any business changes, reviewing related documentation to ensure compliance with AZ SOX/FCF requirements, and ensure proper embedding in regular processes.
- In collaboration with Director, develop and execute annual testing plan. This will include organizing internal/external testing resources, reviewing such testing performed, and providing Director regular progress reports and updates.
- Conduct regular review of controls design with the business to ensure adequate mitigation of risks.
- Responsible for managing and overseeing the planning and execution of testing of key controls for assigned process areas in order to support Management and Independent testing efforts. Includes updating test scripts and performing reviews of completed test scripts as necessary.
- During external auditor testing (including walkthroughs), support the business when questions or issues arise.
- Perform validation procedures of Financial Controls Framework (FCF) controls as required to support Reporting Submissions.
- Maintain and monitor SOX repository system to ensure information is updated timely for all testing results for documentation of management Monthly Self Assessment.
- Support Process/Control Owners in evaluating control deficiencies, establish remediation and action plans, and monitor deficiencies to ensure timely remediation.
- Conduct training and education sessions for new Process/Control Owners to ensure adequate understanding of their roles and responsibilities for financial controls.
- Review over IT dependent/configuration/automated controls.
- Conduct training sessions to train testers to perform annual Management Testing.
- Support special projects as required.
Internal and External Contacts/Customers:
This position reaches out to relevant areas of Finance and other functional areas (e.g. Process/Control Owners in Market Access, Trade Operations, Payroll, Operations, etc.) to ensure continual compliance. Therefore, the person performing the role will need to:
- Influence others outside of their direct group;
- Communicate and interact with external auditors on a regular basis;
- Communicate frequently with process/control owners and key stakeholders regarding target dates, status of testing, timelines, and key messages.
- Experience (5-7 years) in financial accounting/analysis and SOX/financial compliance work.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including oral and written.
- Demonstrated ability to perform in an environment, which emphasizes teamwork.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in an exceedingly dynamic work environment.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field (e.g. Accounting, Finance or Business)
- MBA and/or CPA
- Prior audit experience, CIA (Certified Internal Auditor), CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor)
- SAP knowledge and experience
- Pharmaceutical industry experience
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.