Director, R&D Strategy
An opportunity to use your scientific knowledge and strategic analysis skill to influence decisions that will have a direct impact on patients’ lives.
At AstraZeneca, we have created and strategically acquired one of the most promising Oncology pipelines in the industry. In addition to developing this pipeline using in-house capabilities, we also partner with a host of biotech companies to leverage new, disruptive technologies. As Director of Emerging Portfolio Strategy, you will be working to ensure that the decisions we make with our early stage pipeline provides the best possible outcomes for patients.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working with a team of experts across early stage research and development functions, you will create and implement strategies to deliver an exciting and innovative oncology pipeline. You will drive the collection of meaningful, timely, and accurate data from a wide range of internal and external sources and perform detailed analyses. Your analysis and strategic advice will drive the long-term strategy for early stage projects across science units and will be the foundation for investment decisions.
To achieve this, it is critical that you possess strong consultative and communication skills; as well as the ability to formulate cohesive strategic arguments and respectfully challenge a group of experts. This requires effective stakeholder and relationship management skills with the ability to interact and build trusted relationships with all levels of employees, including senior leadership.
The role will require moderate global travel (Medical congress, Advisory boards and key internal meetings).
Strong scientific backgrounds and strategic thinking skills are critical for the success of the role. Candidates from a wide range of prior experiences are encouraged to apply. Examples include, but are not limited to, oncology R&D, biopharma consulting, pharmaceutical investment banking, and more. In all cases, you must be a critical thinker with experience of identifying and driving key projects and providing researched, verified, relevant information to leaders.
Specifically you will be focused on defining and shaping the Immuno-oncology strategy. You will be working across multiple projects teams to define the AZ strategy. Your objectives will be to:
- Link Early portfolio programs into broader company strategy
- Integrate competitive data from the evolving therapeutic landscape
- Integrate a view on External Programs (with BD)
- Integrate with other teams: Informatics, cfDNA, ADCs, Cell Therapy, other tumor types
You will report to the Senior Director R&D Strategy, within the AZ Oncology R&D Strategy group.
- Bachelor’s degree within a scientific discipline is required;
- Analysis and fact-based decision-making;
- Working with data and/or a science research/ bio-pharmaceutical environment;
- Understanding of clinical data and clinical trial design;
You will be:
- A strong strategic thinker with the judgement, and skills to influence, set direction, generate commitment as well as balance short and long term needs;
- Very familiar with the drug development process and necessary strategic and commercial touch points.
- Highly intellectually capable with agility and adaptability;
- Able to influence without authority and establish and maintain credibility with senior audiences;
- Resourceful, motivated, decisive and proactive; must be able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-growing organization;
- Doctorate (PhD) is preferred
- Experience of setting up short and long term strategic plans
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.