Associate Director, Mechanistic Biology & Profiling
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration through scientific research. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
Discovery Sciences is a multi-faceted department which drives early drug discovery across AstraZeneca’s global Research & Development portfolio. Mechanistic Biology & Profiling (part of Discovery Sciences), is a global, multidisciplinary department responsible for mechanism-of-action studies and compound profiling for efficacy and pre-clinical safety in support of the Oncology, Cardiovascular and Renal Disease, Respiratory, Inflammation & Autoimmunity, and Neuroscience portfolios.
If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to make a difference and ready to discover what you can do – join us.
Reporting directly to the Global Head of the Mechanistic Biology & Profiling Department you will set the vision and lead a team in generating pre-clinical pharmacology data to predict and understand compound (and novel drug modalities) efficacy.
As the Associate Director, US, you will lead and drive a high-performing team to provide early, impactful mechanistic insight to projects across the global disease areas, in particular Oncology, through a combination of in vitro mechanistic enzymology, pharmacology, and quantitative cell biology. You will be a recognised and passionate leader, able to represent the department across a broad range of therapeutic projects and global initiatives within Discovery Sciences and the disease areas, and also externally. You will drive scientific and technical innovation, including through external collaboration and partnership. You will also be a key member of the Global Mechanistic Biology & Profiling Leadership Team, participating in setting and maintaining the strategic direction, scientific quality and efficiency of the department.
We are seeking a strong and energetic leader who is able to articulate a vision for disease - agnostic Discovery missions and set direction and inspire commitment for preclinical Discovery. The Associate Director should have the following skills:
- Ability to manage internal expertise, capacity and resources to drive governance and decision-making regarding scientific portfolio support and technology development.
- Is future orientated and strategic in thinking style.
- Robust decision making informed by business and financial acumen and an understanding of competitor strategy.
- Generates exceptional results by influencing, driving performance and collaborating across project and country boundaries.
Minimum of a Masters Degree required, PhD preferred
- PhD and 10+ years of related experience or a Masters and 15+ years of related experience
- Proven track record of recruiting, inspiring and developing a world-class group, and optimising team performance in a highly matrixed discovery project environment
- Formal training and proven expertise in mechanistic enzymology or pharmacology
- 10+ years of experience and career progression in pre-clinical drug discovery, with deep knowledge of the use of mechanistic enzymology to aid translation from model systems through to clinical dose prediction
- Significant external reputation in pharmacology or enzymology, gained through professional recognition, external presentation and recent publication in high-impact journals
- Extensive experience of establishing and leading external collaborations and technology change projects to advance organisational capability
- Track record of delivering results across a diverse project portfolio by driving strategic, scientific, financial and people performance
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.